New ASMD Corporate Headquarters:
The Association of Science Museum Directors
“Promoting the scholarly and educational role of science museums around the globe.”
The Association of Science Museum Directors is organized exclusively for scientific purposes within the meaning of Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code.
The purpose or purposes of the ASMD are:
- to promote the development of a scholarly and educational role for science museums and their directors in the cultural life of the nation and of humankind;
- to apply its members' knowledge and experience in the fields of physical or natural sciences, technology, or anthropology to the promotion of the public good;
- exchange information on research, collections, exhibition, and educational programs;
- to encourage communication among science museums and their directors;
- identify and discuss problems common to the chief officers of such institutions;
- establish standards of competence and performance for member institutions in all areas wherein the institutions operate;
- encourage the participation of science museums in national and regional museum associations;
- develop programs for the recruitment and training of museum personnel;
The foregoing purposes are each and all subject to the limitations that, the ASMD not being organized for pecuniary profit, no part of the net earnings or funds of the ASMD shall inure to the benefit of any member as such or of any private individual or purpose, and no substantial part of the activities of the corporation shall consist of carrying on propaganda or otherwise attempting to influence legislation.
Proud affiliate member of the American Alliance of Museums.